Thursday, June 07, 2007

Spending Too Much Time on the Web?

When I first started my blog a couple years ago, I talked to my friend, Rob, about how the whole blogging thing works. Rob's a bit of an expert on these sorts of things and his input has been helpful. One of the things that he introduced (or should I say, explained) to me is RSS, or Really Simple Syndication. Previous to the point when Rob explained this to me, I had a number of blogs or columnists that I liked to read on a consistent basis. So I would visit their websites every day or two and see if there was any new content. If not, then I just moved on. But after a while, you kinda get tired of going to a site if there is nothing new to look at. Am I right?
Taking Rob's advice I set up an account with a newsreader called Bloglines. This allows me to simply subscribe to the "feed" of a blog and not have to sign up with e-mail subscriptions or actually go to the site to read new posts. It's saved a lot of time and enables to do much more reading each day than I did before. If this doesn't make sense, you might want to watch this easy-to-follow video:
http://rob.orangejack.com/2007/05/02/web-work-smarter/

Because I use Bloglines to read several dozen blogs, I'm able to quickly read the new posts and not waste time visiting blogs that don't have anything new. In addition, it's been great for reading new notes for my Facebook friends. I have well over 400 "Friends" on Facebook and it would take way too much time to individually search each of their pages to look for new notes. But by using a newsreader, I'm able to easily read new notes from my friends -- all in one place!

To subscribe to your friend's notes on Facebook, simply go to the "Notes" page and click "My Friends' Notes" under 'Subscribe to these Notes' on the right-hand side of the page. If you have any questions on any of this, I'll do my best to answer them.

2 comments:

orangejack said...

well done, young padawan.

scottmcrocker said...

thanks, Obi-Wan :)