Wednesday, December 26, 2007

A Christmas Meme

Here is a Christmas meme that I got from Gina Dalfonzo off of the Break Point blog...

1. Wrapping paper or gift bags?
Definitely wrapping paper. As I told Lori recently, gift bags are just a cop out for people that don't want to take the time to wrap the gift. Unless, of course, it's an odd-shaped gift. Then a gift bag is acceptable. But a gift bag for a book? Come on...
2. Real tree or artificial?
Artificial. I've never really had a real tree, but it seems like a lot of up-keep for the relative little time it is up.
3. When do you put up the tree?
Usually within a week after Thanksgiving.
4. When do you take the tree down?
Sometime in early January.
5. Do you like eggnog?
Sure do! But I just learned that it has like 8,000 calories in each cup so I have to not overdue it.
6. Favorite gift received as a child?
I would have to say the year I got an Atari video game system when I was around 8. For you youngsters out there, Atari was the ultimate system to have back in the Dark Ages before PS3's and XBox's.
7. Do you have a nativity scene?
Several. I think my favorite is a simple pewter set of just Mary, Joseph, and Jesus. Lori and I got it our first Christmas as husband and wife.
8. Hardest person to buy for?
My dad.
9. Easiest person to buy for?
My kids -- the remind me ad nauseum what they want each year.
10. Worst Christmas gift you ever received?
I would say a white elephant gift that was a used bathroom floor mat. I don't think it had been washed...
11. Mail or email Christmas cards?
Mail. There are some things that just need to be done the old-fashioned way.
12. Favorite Christmas Movie?
It's a Wonderful Life.
13. When do you start shopping for Christmas?
Typically in mid-December.
14. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present?
Yes, but never a used gift.
15. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas?
Anything chocolate (but, of course, that applies for the other 11 months of the year as well.)
16. Clear lights or colored on the tree?
Either is cool with me.
17. Favorite Christmas song?
O Holy Night and Joy to the World.
18. Travel for Christmas or stay home?
Lately, it's been staying home although we like to visit our families when we can.
19. Can you name all of Santa's reindeers?
I think so... Dopey, Sneezy, Doc, Bashful, Grumpy, Happy, Larry, Moe and Curly. Is that all of them?
20. Angel on the tree top or a star?
I think I've had both at one time or another. We have a star on our tree now.
21. Open the presents Christmas Eve or morning?
Most of them Christmas morning, but one present is opened on Christmas Eve in honor of my dad's birthday that day.
22. Most annoying thing about this time of year?
How our greed can be displayed so pointedly -- fighting for a parking spot at the mall, jockeying to get toys at the store, acting like we're celebrating the birth of Jesus when, deep down, it may really be about us getting stuff that we really don't need.
23. What I love most about Christmas?
In the midst of some of the selfishness and greed that is displayed, we also see a giving spirit that is exhibited like no other time of year.
Your turn!

No comments: