Wednesday, November 05, 2008

An Historic Evening

I woke up this morning still in disbelief as I witnessed something last night that I never thought I would see in my lifetime -- the American electorate choosing an African American as president. The selection of Barack Obama as the next leader of this great land demonstrates that our country has taken a step forward when it comes to how people view race, but we still have a long ways to go.

I also sat there last evening in admiration as I watched John McCain give his concession speech. I appreciated the positive nature in which Sen. McCain carried himself throughout the campaign and the genuine and thoughtful way in which he recognized the historic moment that we were experiencing. More than simply making a brief reference to President-elect Obama's victory, he traced some of the American history in regard to race and the presidency. In case you didn't see his message, here is a portion:

"This is an historic election, and I recognize the special significance it has for African-Americans and for the special pride that must be theirs tonight. I've always believed that America offers opportunities to all who have the industry and will to seize it. Sen. Obama believes that, too. But we both recognize that, though we have come a long way from the old injustices that once stained our nation's reputation and denied some Americans the full blessings of American citizenship, the memory of them still had the power to wound.
A century ago, President Theodore Roosevelt's invitation of Booker T. Washington to dine at the White House was taken as an outrage in many quarters. America today is a world away from the cruel and frightful bigotry of that time. There is no better evidence of this than the election of an African-American to the presidency of the United States. Let there be no reason now for any American to fail to cherish their citizenship in this, the greatest nation on Earth."
Sen. McCain is not only an American hero and patriot, but a class act as well.

So as we prepare for a shift in leadership in the weeks ahead, there is one area that I would like to address with my friends that have vocally supported Sen. Obama. There is much that I like about him, but there is one subject that I strongly disagree with him on and that is on the issue of abortion. Much has been said about his voting record when it comes to this matter and it is a concern to me.

In their zeal to support the nation's first black president, I have been troubled by the cavalier attitude that some have displayed as it pertains to the protection of the unborn. As I read the Scriptures, I learn that God is concerned with both protecting the not yet born and caring for those children after they've left the womb. Abortion is not a political issue that should only be given attention every four years. It is a moral issue that demands our attention each day.

Voting for pro-life candidates is one way to care for the unborn, but there is much more than that in order to make a real difference. Randy Alcorn lists "50 Ways to Help Unborn Babies and Their Mothers" and I encourage you to read through that list and consider how you can be involved. Whether you consider yourself to be pro-life or pro-choice, I think we can all be involved in different ways to help women who find themselves with an unwanted pregnancy.

As I've said in other circles, I feel like this is my generation's slavery. I trust that God will change the heart of President-elect Obama so that he will do everything in his power to protect the innocent and defenseless -- both in and out of the womb. And may we each do the same as well.

No comments: