Friday, October 08, 2010

Preparing for the Michigan-Michigan State Game

Photo Credit:
Andrew Morrell Photography
As a young boy growing up in southeastern Michigan, the annual match up between the University of Michigan and Michigan State University was always the biggest college football game of the year for me.  I know that the Michigan and Ohio State University game has traditionally had more Big Ten title and Rose Bowl implications, but the MSU game was always the bigger deal to me when I was a kid.

You see, I didn't go to school with any Ohio State fans and, therefore, didn't interact with them on a daily basis.  The only Buckeye fan that I knew was my grandfather and he had been born and raised in Ohio.  But, as a Michigan fan, I dealt with Spartan fans year-round so bragging rights meant something.  In fact, most of my closest friends rooted for MSU.  I don't know why that is exactly but I suppose that growing up in a blue collar, working class city that more people identified with the agricultural roots of Michigan State than the supposed intellectual snobbery of the Wolverines.  All I know is that I loved the Michigan helmets, Bo Schembechler and Jamie Morris.  

Whatever the case may be, the U of M/MSU battle each fall meant that you were going to have a lot of fun in school the following week or you would have to go into hiding for awhile.  Living in Florida now, this game isn't nearly as much fun since there are few Spartans that I come across.  But I know that the rivalry up in the state of Michigan is as strong as ever and I will be tuning in tomorrow to see if the Wolverines can reclaim the Paul Bunyan trophy

With both teams ranked and undefeated for the first time in this game since 1999, it should be a hard fought battle.  There have been some exciting games in this rivalry in recent years and I look forward to watching what is sure to be another classic.

My Prediction:  Michigan - 38, Michigan State 35

Go Blue!

No comments: