Thursday, October 13, 2005

The Vine and the branches

I was out in my yard the other day doing some much needed weeding around the house. My oldest son, Brennan, came out to join me in the humid Orlando climate. While weeding underneath a bush, Brennan noticed a group of leaves in the bush that were dark brown instead of the bright green that all the other leaves were. He asked why those leaves were brown and the others were green.

I showed him how the branch that those leaves were on had somehow broken away from the rest of the bush. I explained that in order for the leaves to stay green, the branch they were on had to be connected to the main vine of the bush so that all the nutrients and water coming up through the vine could go through the branch and into the leaves.

This branch was totally dependent upon the main vine to get it's food and water. Once it wasn't connected to that vine any longer, it had shriveled up and died. The brown dead leaves demonstrated that there was no longer any fruit being produced on that branch.

I then shared with Brennan what Jesus said in John 15, "I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing." In order to see spiritual fruit produced in our lives, we must stay connected to the main vine (Jesus). When we allow Him to feed and nourish us, we will see much fruit in our lives and through our lives. That's a good lesson for a five-year old to hear ... or an adult like you or me.

No comments: