Monday, February 13, 2012

Suggested Resources For Understanding Culture & Race in America

Photo Credit:
The Impact Movement
In my fifteen years of ministering cross-culturally within the United States, I've encountered a number of helpful resources that have aided me in my journey of understanding, appreciation and things I've learned from other cultures.

I've listed a sampling of these books here, categorized by the ethnic group(s) the reading focuses on, in the hopes that it might assist you in learning more about yourself and others, particularly as it relates to campus ministry:

African Americans
Asian Americans
Hispanics & Latinos
Internationals
General Cultural Understanding

While not exhaustive by any means, I hope this listing of books will prove to be a fruitful resource to you as you seek to gain a greater understanding of the richness of cultures that God has given us in His wisdom and love. If you have any additional books that you have found helpful in your journey, please list them in the comments section and I may add them to this listing.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is awesome, Scott! Thanks!

Ugena Moses said...

What a great list! Thanks for posting this! I'm interested in the Gospel and other cultures --especially Native Americans.

Unknown said...

Great list Scott, thanks! Have you read John Piper's book "Bloodlines "? I'm reading it now and it's excellent.

scottmcrocker said...

Thank you, Brian. Yes, I did read Bloodlines when it was first published. There is some good content in there and it seems that the book has resonated with a number of people. I particularly enjoyed Dr. Piper sharing about his own journey with these issues. I think that's something to which a lot of people can identify.