|Photo Credit: sarah_browning|
One of the greatest gifts that I received as a child was a love of reading. I hope I've passed that love onto my children and to those that I have had the privilege of leading over the years. Books contain the potential to inspire, challenge, convict, educate, entertain and even change us when we apply what we've learned.
By far, the book that has changed my life the most is the Holy Bible. After that, there are countless others that have changed the way I view God, myself, others and the world in which we live.
I was once advised that when you find an author whose words resonate deep within your soul by penning the thoughts and feelings you've had but couldn't describe, then try to read everything that person has ever written. With writers like Brennan Manning, Elisabeth Elliot or Randy Alcorn, I've attempted to do just that.
But so that certain authors don't take up most of the spots on the list below, I'm only citing each author once. Here are 25 books that have changed my life (in alphabetical order):
1. The 21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership: Follow Them and People Will Follow You by John C. Maxwell
2. Abba's Child: The Cry of the Heart for Intimate Belonging by Brennan Manning
3. The Autobiography of Malcolm X by Malcolm X & Alex Haley
4. Born Again by Charles W. Colson
5. Breaking Down Walls: A Model for Reconciliation in an Age of Racial Strife by Glen Kehrein & Raleigh Washington
6. Changes That Heal by Henry Cloud
7. Come Help Change The World by Bill Bright
8. Desiring God: Meditations of a Christian Hedonist by John Piper
9. Disciplines Of A Godly Man by R. Kent Hughes
10. Dominion by Randy Alcorn
11. Eternal Security - Can You Be Sure? by Charles Stanley
12. Every Man's Battle: Winning the War on Sexual Temptation One Victory at a Time by Stephen Arterburn, Fred Stoeker and Mike Yorkey
13. From Slavery to Freedom: A History of African Americans by John Hope Franklin
14. Just As I Am: The Autobiography of Billy Graham by Billy Graham
15. Knowing God by J. I. Packer
16. Let Prayer Change Your Life by Becky Tirabassi
17. Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis
18. More Than A Carpenter by Josh McDowell
19. My Utmost For His Highest by Oswald Chambers
20. Ordering Your Private World by Gordon MacDonald
21. Roaring Lambs: A Gentle Plan to Radically Change Your World by Bob Briner
22. Shadow of the Almighty: The Life and Testament of Jim Elliot by Elisabeth Elliot
23. The Forgotten Trinity: Rediscovering the Heart of Christian Belief by James R. White
24. The Master Plan Of Evangelism by Robert E. Coleman
25. To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper LeeWithout these books I would not be the person I am so I am indebted to the authors who wrote them. Hopefully my listing them might inspire you to check out some of the books that I've found helpful in my own journey.
What books have changed you?