Other facts from the study:
- 42% of women age 18-34 think it's okay to post photos of themselves while intoxicated.
- 21% check Facebook in the middle of the night.
- 58% use Facebook to check up on "frenemies."
- 50% think it's okay to date those they've met on Facebook (65% of men have no problem with this).
- 6% use Facebook to "hook up" with others (20% of men do).
- 9% have used Facebook to break up a relationship they were in while 24% of men have done the same.
As Ben Parr on Mashable.com shares:
"What conclusions can we draw from this data? It’s not just that young women are using Facebook religiously: it’s that they’re very open with what they post and who they accept as friends. Combined, it can lead to a privacy mess."When the numbers concerning how men use Facebook in relationships are examined, there are some shocking realities that come into play. Men, too, are susceptible to the same temptations that unguarded online interactions can bring. Modern technology can be a great tool when used properly, but it also can be used for harm and destruction by those with ill motives.
For some helpful tips on how to protect your Facebook privacy, check out these suggestions from MakeUseOf.com.
(h/t to Tony Arnold)