Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Lionel Richie and a Really Bad Sculpture

My family is sitting here watching the American Idol finale thoroughly enjoying the parade of music superstars that have joined the contestants for the final episode of the season. Idol typically does up the finale in grand style and it is clear that singers, both old and new, want to be on the show.

KISS just performed with Adam Lambert and I was reminded of how I was Gene Simmons for Halloween in the first grade. Sorry, Mom, but I'm just keeping it real.

Shortly before that, Danny Gokey sung the moving ballad "Hello" by Lionel Richie. Immediately, I thought back to the classic video for the song. I asked my wife, Lori, if she remembered it. And of course she had not since she did not have MTV or VH1 growing up. So every time I get nostalgic and say, "Hey, you remember that video for...?" she always responds, "No, honey, I don't remember any videos from the 80's."

Anyway, the storyline of the Hello video was that Lionel was a music teacher and was falling for this blind girl (Note: It was a seeing actress that was trying to act blind.) She makes a sculpture of him to show how much she cares. The sculpture (see above) is revealed and...looks nothing like Lionel Richie! There are three thoughts that come to mind when I see this sculpture (and none of them have anything to do with Lionel Richie):
1. Ch-ch-ch-chia!
2. "Don't make me angry. You wouldn't like me when I'm angry."
3. "Hey, isn't that Dan Dierdorf's bust from the Football Hall of Fame?"
If you'd like to see the complete video you can see it below. The sculpture shows up close to the 5:00 mark. Click here if the video player doesn't show up.



I don't know why but I really feel like dancing on the ceiling!

No comments: