Wednesday, May 26, 2010

The Cost of Pac-Man on Google

In honor of the 30th anniversary of the popular '80s arcade game Pac-Man, search engine Google decided to feature a miniature version of the game on its homepage late last week. Visitors to www.google.com on May 21st were greeted with the Pac-Man game and invited to play. I took Google up on the offer and waxed nostalgic by playing a game that was quite popular in my childhood.

Apparently, I wasn't the only one that got a case of Pac-Man fever. According to the RescueTime blog, the following numbers resulted from the Google Pac-Man feature:
•Google Pac-Man consumed 4,819,352 hours of time (beyond the 33.6m daily man hours of attention that Google Search gets in an average day).

•$120,483,800 was the cost to employers. If the average Google user has a COST of $25/hr.

•For that same cost, you could hire all 19,835 Google employees and get six weeks of their time.
To my own defense, I was on vacation when I played. :)

No comments: